Towards preparedness for PrEP: PrEP awareness and acceptability among MSM at high risk of HIV transmission who use sociosexual media in four Celtic nations: Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland: an online survey
Objective: To assess the awareness and acceptability of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among men who have sex with men (MSM) and use sociosexual media at high risk of HIV infection in four Celtic nations.\ud \ud Design: Cross-sectional study.\ud \ud Methods Online self... View more
1 This figure was accurate at the time of data collection and was taken from Grant R.M, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure Chemoprophylaxis for HIV Prevention in Men Who Have Sex with Men. N Engl J Med 2010;363:2587- 2599.
12. Young I, Li J and McDaid L. Awareness and willingness to use HIV preexposure prophylaxis amongst gay and bisexual men in Scotland: implications for biomedical HIV prevention. PloS one. 2013; 8: e64038.
13. Kessler J, Myers JE, Nucifora KA, et al. Evaluating the impact of prioritization of antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis in New York. AIDS. 2014; 28: 2683-91.
14. Rocha LM, Campos MJ, Brito J, et al. Acceptability of PrEP among HIV negative Portuguese men who have sex with men that attended 2014 Lisbon pride fair. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2014; 17: 19734.
15. Al-Tayyib AA, Thrun MW, Haukoos JS and Walls NE. Knowledge of preexposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV prevention among men who have sex with men in Denver, Colorado. AIDS and behavior. 2014; 18 Suppl 3: 340-7.
16. Rucinski KB, Mensah NP, Sepkowitz KA, Cutler BH, Sweeney MM and Myers JE. Knowledge and use of pre-exposure prophylaxis among an online sample of young men who have sex with men in New York City. AIDS and behavior. 2013; 17: 2180-4.
17. Yang D, Chariyalertsak C, Wongthanee A, et al. Acceptability of preexposure prophylaxis among men who have sex with men and transgender women in Northern Thailand. PloS one. 2013; 8: e76650.
18. Zhou F, Gao L, Li S, et al. Willingness to accept HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among Chinese men who have sex with men. PloS one. 2012; 7: e32329.
19. Zhang Y, Peng B, She Y, et al. Attitudes toward HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among men who have sex with men in western China. AIDS patient care and STDs. 2013; 27: 137-41.
20. Bauermeister JA, Meanley S, Pingel E, Soler JH and Harper GW. PrEP awareness and perceived barriers among single young men who have sex with men. Current HIV research. 2013; 11: 520-7.