Using Evidence in the development of local health policies : Some Evidence from the United Kingdom
Weatherly, H.; Drummond, M.; Smith, D.;
Objectives: This paper explores the use of evidence, focusing on economic evidence in particular, in the development of local health policies through an in-depth study of Health Improvement Programmes (HImPs) in England. Methods: A questionnaire was sent to the person r... View more
1. Brechin A, Siddell M. Ways of knowing in using evidence in health and social care. Gomm R, Davies C, eds. London: The Open University, Sage Publications; 2000.
2. Dobbins M, Cockerill R, Barnsley J, Ciliska D. Factors of the innovation, organization, environment, and individual that predict the influence five systematic reviews had on public health decisions. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2001;17:467-478.
3. Drummond M, Weatherly H. Implementing the findings of health technology assessments: If the cat got out of the bag, will the tail wag the dog? Int J Health Technol Assess Health Care. 2000;16:1-12.
4. Duthie T, Trueman P, Chancellor J, Diez L. Research into the use of health economics in decision making in the United Kingdom, - phase II: Is health economics “for good or evil”? Health Policy. 1999;46:143-157.
5. Gosden T, Bowler I, Sutton M. How do general practitioners choose their practice? Preferences for practice and job characteristics. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2000;5:208-213.
6. Granados A, Jonsson E, Banta HD. EUR-ASSESS project subgroup report on dissemination and impact. Int J Health Technol Assess Health Care. 1997;13:220-286.
7. Hoffmann C, Graf von der Schulenburg JM. The influence of economic evaluation studies on decision making: A European survey. The EUROMET group. Health Policy. 2000;52:179-192.
8. Mason JM, Freemantle N, Eccles M, Drummond MF. A framework for incorporating costeffectiveness in evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Health Policy. 1999;47:37-52.
9. NHS Executive. The new NHS: Modern, dependable. London: The Stationery Office; 1997.
10. NHS Executive. National service framework on coronary heart disease. London: Department of Health; 1998.