BACKGROUND: Some ethnic minority populations have a higher risk of non-communicable diseases than the majority European population. Diet and physical activity behaviours contribute to this risk, shaped by a system of inter-related factors. This study mapped a systems-ba... View more
1. Faskunger J, Eriksson U, Johansson SE, Sundquist K, Sundquist J. Risk of obesity in immigrants compared with swedes in two deprived neighbourhoods. BMC Public Health. 2009;9(1):304.
2. Patel J, Vyas A, Cruickshank J, Prabhakaran D, Hughes E, Reddy K, et al. Impact of migration on coronary heart disease risk factors: comparison of Gujaratis in Britain and their contemporaries in villages of origin in India. Atherosclerosis. 2006;185(2):297-306.
3. Leung G, Stanner S. Diets of minority ethnic groups in the UK: influence on chronic disease risk and implications for prevention. Nutr Bull. 2011;36(2):161-98.
4. Hayes L, White M, Unwin N, Bhopal R, Fischbacher C, Harland J, et al. Patterns of physical activity and relationship with risk markers for cardiovascular disease and diabetes in Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and European adults in a UK population. J Public Health. 2002;24(3):170-8.
5. Babakus WS, Thompson JL. Physical activity among south Asian women: a systematic, mixed-methods review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012;9(1):1.
6. Besharat Pour M, Bergström A, Bottai M, Kull I, Wickman M, Håkansson N, et al. Effect of parental migration background on childhood nutrition, physical activity, and body mass index. J Obes. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/ 406529.
7. De Munter JS, Agyemang C, Van Valkengoed IG, Bhopal R, Zaninotto P, Nazroo J, et al. Cross national study of leisure-time physical activity in Dutch and English populations with ethnic group comparisons. Eur J Pub Health. 2013;23(3):440-6.
8. Hansen AR, Ekholm O, Kjøller M. Health behaviour among non-western immigrants with Danish citizenship. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 2008;36(2):205-10.
9. Hornby-Turner YC, Hampshire KR, Pollard TMA. Comparison of physical activity and sedentary behaviour in 9-11 year old British Pakistani and white British girls: a mixed methods study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014;11(1):1.
10. Dagkas S, Benn T. Young Muslim women's experiences of Islam and physical education in Greece and Britain: a comparative study. Sport Educ Soc. 2006;11(1):21-38.