Publisher: Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
Artificial spin ices are often spoken of as being realisations of some of the celebrated vertex models of statistical mechanics, where the exact microstate of the system can be imaged using advanced magnetic microscopy methods. The fact that a stable image can be formed... View more
1. C. Nisoli, R. Moessner, and P. Schi er, \Colloquium: Arti cial spin ice: Designing and imaging magnetic frustration," Rev. Mod. Phys. 85, p. 1473, 2013.
2. L. J. Heyderman and R. L. Stamps, \Arti cial ferroic systems: novel functionality from structure, interactions and dynamics," J. Phys.: Cond. Matt. 25, p. 363201, 2013.
3. J. Cumings, L. J. Heyderman, C. H. Marrows, and R. L. Stamps, \Focus on arti cial frustrated systems," New J. Phys. 16, p. 075016, 2014.
4. R. F. Wang, C. Nisoli, R. S. Freitas, J. Li, W. McConville, B. J. Cooley, M. S. Lund, N. Samarth, C. Leighton, V. H. Crespi, and P. Schi er, \Arti cial `spin ice' in a geometrically frustrated lattice of nanoscale ferromagnetic islands," Nature 439, p. 303, 2006.
5. E. C. Stoner and E. P. Wohlfarth, \A mechanism of magnetic hysteresis in heterogeneous alloys," Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London A 240(826), p. 599, 1948.
6. S. T. Bramwell and M. J. P. Gingras, \Spin ice state in frustrated magnetic pyrochlore materials," Science 294, p. 1495, 2001.
7. L. Pauling, \The structure and entropy of ice and of other crystals with some randomness of atomic arrangement," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 57, p. 2680, 1935.
8. A. P. Ramirez, A. Hayashi, R. J. Cava, R. Siddharthan, and B. S. Shastry, \Zero-point entropy in `spin ice'," Nature 399, p. 333, 1999.
9. C. Castelnovo, R. Moessner, and S. L. Sondhi, \Magnetic monopoles in spin ice," Nature 451, p. 42, 2008.
10. J. D. Bernal and R. H. Fowler, \A theory of water and ionic solution, with particular reference to hydrogen and hydroxyl ions," J. Chem. Phys. 1, p. 515, 1933.