Food and nutrition insecurity: a marker of vulnerability to asthma symptoms.
Ribeiro-Silva, RdeC; Oliveira-Assis, AM; Junqueira, SB; Fiaccone, RL; Dos Santos, SM; Barreto, ML; de Jesus Pinto, E; da Silva, LA; Rodrigues, LC; Alcantara-Neves, NM;
Publisher: Cambridge University Press (CUP)
: To evaluate the association between food and nutrition insecurity and asthma in children from Latin America.<br/> : Cross-sectional study.<br/> : São Francisco do Conde, Bahia, north-eastern Brazil.<br/> : The study included 1307 children aged 6-12 years from public e... View more
1. O'Byrne PM (2009) Allergen-induced airway inflammation and its therapeutic intervention. Allergy Asthma Immun 1, 3-9.
2. Anandan C, Nurmatov U, van Schayck OC et al. (2010) Is the prevalence of asthma declining? Systematic review of epidemiological studies. Allergy 65, 152-167.
3. Cooper PJ, Rodrigues LC, Cruz AA et al. (2009) Asthma in Latin America: a public heath challenge and research opportunity. Allergy 64, 5-17.
4. Sole´ D, Wandalsen GF, Camelo-Nunes IC et al. (2006) Prevalence of symptoms of asthma, rhinitis, and atopic eczema among Brazilian children and adolescents identified by the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) - Phase 3. J Pediatr (Rio J) 82, 341-346.
5. Cooper PJ, Rodrigues LC & Barreto ML (2012) Influence of poverty and infection on asthma in Latin America. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 12, 171-178.
6. Souza da Cunha S, Barreto ML, Fiaccone RL et al. (2010) Asthma cases in childhood attributed to atopy in tropical area in Brazil. Rev Panam Salud Publica 28, 405-411.
7. Barreto ML, Cunha SS, Fiaccone R et al. (2010) Poverty, dirt, infections and non-atopic wheezing in children from a Brazilian urban center. Respir Res 11, 167.
8. von Mutius E (2002) Environmental factors influencing the development and progression of pediatric asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 109, 6 Suppl., S525-S532.
9. Priftis KN & Anthracopoulos MB (2008) The causal relationship between stress and asthma. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 36, 343-346.
10. Murphy JM, Wehler CA, Pagano ME et al. (1998) Relationship between hunger and psychosocial functioning in low-income American children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 37, 163-170.