Aims\ud To characterize publically funded tobacco control campaigns in England between 2004 and 2010 and to explore if they were in line with recommendations from the literature in terms of their content and intensity. International evidence suggests that campaigns whic... View more
1. Durkin S., Brennan E., Wakefield M. Mass media campaigns to promote smoking cessation among adults: an integrative review. Tob Control 2012; 21: 127-38.
2. Wakefield M. A., Durkin S., Spittal M. J., Siahpush M., Scollo M., Simpson J. A. et al. Impact of tobacco control policies and mass media campaigns on monthly adult smoking prevalence. Am J Public Health 2008; 98: 1443-50.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Best practices for comprehensive tobacco control programs. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. 2007. (Archived at http://www .webcitation.org/6IIjFf1Yj on 22 July 2013).
4. Wakefield M., Spittal M., Yong H.-H., Durkin S., Borland R. Effects of mass media campaign exposure intensity and durability on quit attempts in a population-based cohort study. Health Educ Res 2011; 26: 988-97.
5. Langley T. E., McNeill A., Lewis S., Szatkowski L., Quinn C. The impact of media campaigns on smoking cessation activity: a Structural Vector Autoregression analysis. Addiction 2012; 107: 2043-50.
6. Michie S., van Stralen M., West R. The behaviour change wheel: a new method for characterising and designing behaviour change interventions. Implement Sci 2011; 6: 42.
7. West R. The multiple facets of cigarette addiction and what they mean for encouraging and helping smokers to stop. COPD 2009; 6: 277-83.
8. Fidler J., West R. Self-perceived smoking motives and their correlates in a general population sample. Nicotine Tob Res 2009; 11: 1182-8.
9. NHS. Smokefree Marketing Campaign Strategy: 2012- 2015. Department of Health. 2012. (Archived at http:// www.webcitation.org/6IIjZZwxt on 22 July 2013).
10. Durkin S. J., Biener L., Wakefield M. A. Effects of different types of antismoking ads on reducing disparities in smoking cessation among socioeconomic groups. Am J Public Health 2009; 99: 2217-23.