Enhancing the complexity of neural tissue engineering platforms for repair of neurological injury
Weightman, Alan Peter;
The extent of regeneration is often limited after spinal cord injury (SCI), due to the post-injury microenvironment that is unsupportive of nerve fibre regeneration and the limited intrinsic reparative capacity of neurons. Current mainstream clinical therapies focus on ... View more
(14) Kwon, B. K.; Sekhon, L. H.; Fehlings, M. G. Emerging Repair, Regeneration, and Translational Research Advances for Spinal Cord Injury. Spine (Phila. Pa. 1976). 2010, 35, S263-70.
(15) Schnell, L.; Schwab, M. E. Axonal Regeneration in the Rat Spinal Cord Produced by an Antibody against Myelin-Associated Neurite Growth Inhibitors. Nature 1990, 343, 269-272.
(19) Kwon, B. K.; Tetzlaff, W. Spinal Cord Regeneration: From Gene to Transplants. Spine (Phila. Pa. 1976). 2001, 26, S13-22.
(20) Sobani, Z. A.; Quadri, S. A.; Enam, S. A. Stem Cells for Spinal Cord Regeneration: Current Status. Surg. Neurol. Int. 2010, 1, 93.
(21) Neumann, H.; Kotter, M. R.; Franklin, R. J. M. Debris Clearance by Microglia: An Essential Link between Degeneration and Regeneration. Brain 2009, 132, 288-295.
(22) Loane, D. J.; Byrnes, K. R. Role of Microglia in Neurotrauma. Neurotherapeutics 2010, 7, 366-377.
Neurosci. 2004, 5, 146-156.
Hulsebosch, C. E. Recent Advances in Pathophysiology and Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury. Adv. Physiol. Ed. 2002, 26, 238-255.
David, S.; Aguayo, A. J. Axonal Elongation into Peripheral Nervous System “bridges” after Central Nervous System Injury in Adult Rats. Science. 1981, 214, 931-933.
Woolhead, C. L.; Zhang, Y.; Lieberman, A. R.; Schachner, M.; Emson, P. C.; Anderson, P. N. Differential Effects of Autologous Peripheral Nerve Grafts to the Corpus Striatum of Adult Rats on the Regeneration of Axons of Striatal and Nigral Neurons and on the Expression of GAP-43 and the Cell Adhesion Molecules N-CAM and L1. J. Comp. Neurol. 1998, 391, 259-273.