Objectives: Designing studies with an internal pilot phase may optimise the use of pilot work to inform more efficient randomised controlled trials (RCTs). Careful selection of preagreed decision or 'progression' criteria at the juncture between the internal pilot and m... View more
1. Pocock SJ. Clinical trials. A practical approach. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 1983.
2. Craig P, Dieppe P, Macintyre S, et al. Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council Guidance. Int J Nurs Stud 2013;50:587-92.
3. Lancaster GA, Dodd S, Williamson PR. Design and analysis of pilot studies: recommendations for good practice. J Eval Clin Pract 2004;10:307-12.
4. Bower P, Brueton V, Gamble C, et al. Interventions to improve recruitment and retention in clinical trials: a survey and workshop to assess current practice and future priorities. Trials 2014;15:399-407.
5. McCulloch P, Altman DG, Campbell WB, et al. No surgical innovation without evaluation: the IDEAL recommendations. Lancet 2009;374:1105-12.
6. Kistin C, Silverstein M. Pilot studies: a critical but potentially misused component of interventional research. JAMA 2015;314:1561-2.
7. O'Connell Francischetto E, Avery KNL, Metcalfe C, et al. Optimising the design and evaluation of pilot work to inform the main trial: a review of current evidence and consideration of future practices. Trials 2013;14(Suppl 1):017.
8. Eldridge S, Bond C, Campbell M, et al. Definition and reporting of pilot and feasibility studies. Trials 2013;14(Suppl 1):O18.
9. Thabane L, Ma J, Chu R, et al. A tutorial on pilot studies: the what, why and how. BMC Med Res Methodol 2010;10:1-10.
10. Arain M, Campbell MJ, Cooper CL, et al. What is a pilot or feasibility study? A review of current practice and editorial policy. BMC Med Res Methodol 2010;10:67-73.