Background: Hospitalised and community dwelling older people (65 years and over), have difficulties opening food and beverage items such as cheese portions and tetra packs served in public hospitals. Previously, the role of hand strength on successful pack opening has b... View more
1. Rechbauer C (2013) Healthcare NSW plates up 22 million meals. Hospital & Aged Care Sept-Oct 2013.
2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2013) Australian Hospital statistics 2011 - 12. Canberra, ACT: Australian Government.
3. Johns N, Edwards, J SA, Hartwell, H J (2013) Hungry in hospital, well-fed in prison? A comparative analysis of food service systems. Appetite 68, 45-50.
4. Gout BS, Barker L A, Crowe, TC (2009) Malnutrition identification, diagnosis and dietetic referrals: Are we doing a good enough job? Nutr Diet 66, 206-211.
5. Naithani S, Whelan K, Thomas J et al. (2008) Hospital inpatients' experiences of access to food: a qualitative interview and observational study. Health Expect 11, 294-303.
6. Hartwell HJ, Edwards J S A, Symonds C(2006) Foodservice in hospital: development of a theoretical model for patient experience and satisfaction using one hospital in the UK National Health Service as a case study. J Food Serv 17, 226-238.
7. Walton K, Williams P, Tapsell L (2012) Improving food services for elderly, long-stay patients in Australian hospitals: Adding food fortification, assistance with packaging and feeding assistance. Nutr Diet 69, 137-144.
8. Manning F, Harris K, Duncan R et al. (2012) Additional feeding assistance improves the energy and protein intakes of hospitalised elderly patients. A health services evaluation. Appetite 59, 471-477.
9. Walton K, Williams P, Tapsell L, et al. (2013) Observations of mealtimes in hospital aged care rehabilitation wards. Appetite 67, 16-21.
10. Edwards JSA, Hartwell H J (2004) A comparison of energy intake between eating positions in a NHS hospital-a pilot study. Appetite 43, 323-325.