OBJECTIVE: There is lack of monitoring from the injury site to guide management of patients with acute traumatic spinal cord injury. Here we describe a bedside microdialysis monitoring technique for optimizing spinal cord perfusion and drug delivery at the injury site. ... View more
1. Lee BB, Cripps RA, Fitzharris M, Wing PC. The global map for traumatic spinal cord injury epidemiology: update 2011, global incidence rate. Spinal Cord 2014;52:110-116.
2. Fehlings MG, Rabin D, Sears W, et al. Current practice in the timing of surgical intervention in spinal cord injury. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2010;35:S166-173.
3. Werndle MC, Zoumprouli A, Sedgwick P, Papadopoulos MC. Variability in the treatment of acute spinal cord injury in the United Kingdom: results of a national survey. J Neurotrauma 2012;29:880-888.
4. Werndle M, Saadoun S, Phang I, et al. Measurement of intraspinal pressure after spinal cord injury: technical note from the Injured Spinal Cord Pressure Evaluation Study. Acta Neurochir Suppl 2016;122:323-328.
5. Werndle MC, Saadoun S, Phang I, et al. Monitoring of spinal cord perfusion pressure in acute spinal cord injury: initial findings of the injured spinal cord pressure evaluation study. Crit Care Med 2014;42:646-655.
6. Phang I, Papadopoulos MC. Intraspinal Pressure Monitoring in a Patient with Spinal Cord Injury Reveals Different Intradural Compartments: Injured Spinal Cord Pressure Evaluation (ISCoPE) Study. Neurocrit Care 2015;23:763-771.
7. Phang I, Werndle MC, Zoumprouli A, et al. Safety profile and probe placement accuracy of intraspinal pressure monitoring for traumatic spinal cord injury: Injured Spinal Cord Pressure Evaluation study. J Neurosurg Spine 2016:[EPub ahead of print].
8. Phang I, Werndle MC, Saadoun S, et al. Expansion duroplasty improves intraspinal pressure, spinal cord perfusion pressure and vascular pressure reactivity index in patients with traumatic spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma 2015;32:865-874.
9. Saadoun S, Werndle MC, de Heredia LL, Papadopoulos MC. The dura causes spinal cord compression after spinal cord injury. Br J Neurosurg 2016:[EPub ahead of print].
10. Saadoun S, Bell BA, Verkman AS, Papadopoulos MC. Greatly improved neurological outcome after spinal cord compression injury in AQP4-deficient mice. Brain 2008;131:1087- 1098.