<p>Objectives - To assess the performance of the Gram-negative-specific antibiotic temocillin in polymethylmethacrylate bone cement pre-loaded with gentamicin, as a strategy for local antibiotic delivery. </p>\ud \ud <p>Methods - Temocillin was added at varying concentr... View more
1. National Joint Registry of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. National Joint Registry 10th Annual Report 2013.
http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/Portals/0/Documents/England/Reports/10th_annual_report/NJR %2010th%20Annual%20Report%202013.pdf (9 October 2013, date last accessed)
2. Joseph TN, Chen AL, Di Cesare PE. Use of Antibiotic-Impregnated Cement in Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Amer Acad Orth Surg. 2003; 11: 38-47.
3. Verbist L. In vitro activity of temocillin (BRL 17421), a novel beta-lactamase-stable penicillin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1982; 22: 157-61.
4. Jules K, Neu HC. Antibacterial activity and beta-lactamase stability of temocillin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1982; 22: 453-60.
5. Moran E, Masters S, Berendt AR et al. Guiding empirical antibiotic therapy in orthopaedics: the microbiology of prosthetic joint infection managed by debridement, irrigation and prosthesis retention. J Infect. 2007; 55: 1-7.
6. Hsieh P, Lee MS, Hsu K et al. Gram-negative prosthetic joint infections: Risk factors and outcome of treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2009; 49: 1036-43.
7. Zmistowski B, Fedorka CJ, Sheehan E et al. Prosthetic joint infection caused by Gram-negative organisms. J Arthroplasty. 2011; 26: 104-8.
8. Slocombe B, Basker MJ, Bentley PH et al. BRL 17421, a novel -lactam antibiotic, highly resistant to -lactamases, giving high and prolonged serum levels in humans. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1981; 20: 38-46.
9. Rodriguez-Villalobos H, Malaviolle V, Frankard J et al. In vitro activity of temocillin against extended spectrum -lactamase-producing Escherichia coli. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006; 57: 771- 74.