Tactile sensors are needed for many emerging robotic and telepresence applications such as keyhole surgery and robot operation in unstructured environments. We have proposed and demonstrated a tactile sensor consisting of a fibre Bragg grating embedded in a polymer "fin... View more
1. D. I. Hanson and B. D. Prowell, “Evaluation of circular texture meter for measuring surface texture of pavements,” tech. rep., National Center for Asphalt Technology, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, September 2004. NCAT Report 04-05.
2. “Strategic plan for improved concrete pavement surface characteristics.” http://www.cptechcenter.org/publications/ surface char exec summary.pdf, July 2006.
3. P. Tomassini, L. Rovati, G. Sansoni, and F. Docchio, “Novel optical sensor for the measurement of surface texture,” Review of Scientific Instruments 72, pp. 2207-2213, April 2001.
4. B. V. Jayawant, “Tactile sensing in robotics,” Journal of Physics. E: Scientific. Instruments 22(9), pp. 684-692, 1989.
5. J. Dargahi and S. Payandeh, “Surface texture measurement by combining signals from two sensing elements of a piezoelectric tactile sensor.,” in Proceedings of the SPIE, 3376, pp. 122-128, The International Society for Optical Engineering, 1998.
6. Y. Tada, K. Hosoda, Y. Yamasaki, and M. Asada, “Sensing the texture of surfaces by anthropomorphic soft fingertips with multi-modal sensors,” in Proceedings 2003 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and System, 1, pp. 27-31, (Las Vegas, USA), October 2003.
7. H. Shinoda, M. Uehara, and S. Ando, “A tactile sensor using three-dimensional structure,” in Proceedings, 1993 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 1, pp. 435-441, IEEE, May 1993.
8. Y. Mukaibo, H. Shirado, M. Konyo, and T. Maeno, “Development of a texture sensor emulating the tissue structure and perceptual mechanism of human fingers,” in Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2576-8251, IEEE, (Barcelona, Spain), April 2005.
9. D. K. Pai and P. R. Rizun, “The what: A wireless haptic texture sensor,” in Proc. Eleventh Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, 2003.
10. X. Zhang, Z. Wu, and B. Zhang, “Strain dependence of fiber bragg grating sensors at low temperature,” Optical Engineering 45, may 2006.