The ruthenium complex [Ru(phen)2(dppz)] (where phen is a phenanthroline and dppz a dipyridyl–phenazine ligand) is\ud known as a ‘light switch’ complex because its luminescence in solution is significantly enhanced in the presence of DNA. This property is poised to serve... View more
1. Lerman, L.S., Structural considerations in the interaction of deoxyribonucleic acid and acridines. J. Mol. Biol. 3, 18-30 (1961).
2. Shieh, H.-S., Berman, H.M., Dabrow, M. & Neidle, S., The structure of a drugdeoxydinucleoside phosphate complex; generalized conformational behaviour of intercalation complexes with RNA and DNA fragments. Nucl. Acids Res., 8, 85-98 (1980).
3. Neidle, S. The molecular basis for the action of some DNA-binding drugs, Prog. Med. Chem., 16, 151-221 (1979).
4. Todd, A.K., Adams, A., Thorpe, J.H., Denny, W.A, Wakelin, L.P. & Cardin, C.J., Major groove binding and 'DNA-induced' fit in the intercalation of a derivative of the mixed topoisomerase I/II poison N-(2-(dimethylamino)ethyl)acridine-4-carboxamide (DACA) into DNA: X-ray structure complexed to d(CG(5-BrU)ACG)2 at 1.3-A resolution. J. Med. Chem., 42, 536-540 (1999).
5. Hopcroft, N. H., Brogden, A. L., Searcey, M., & Cardin, C.J., X-ray crystallographic study of DNA duplex cross-linking: simultaneous binding to two d(CGTACG)2 molecules by a bis(9-aminoacridine-4-carboxamide) derivative, Nucl. Acids Res. 34, 6663-6672 (2006).
6. Brogden, A.l., Hopcroft, N.H., Searcey, M., & Cardin, C.J., Ligand Bridging of the DNA Holliday Junction: Molecular Recognition of a Stacked-X Four-Way Junction by a Small Molecule. Angew. Chem. Intern. Edn., 119, 3924-3928 (2007).
7. Frederick, C. A. et al. Structural comparison of anticancer drug-DNA complexes: adriamycin and daunomycin. Biochemistry. 29, 2538-2549 (1990).
8. Hou, M.-H., Robinson, H., Gao, Y.-G., Wang, A.H.-J. Crystal structure of actinomycin D bound to the CTG triplet repeat sequence linked to neurological diseases, Nucl. Acids Res., 30, 4910-4917.
9. Garbett, N.C. & Chaires, J.B., Biophysical tools for Biologists: Vol. 1 In vitro techniques, Methods in Cell Biology, 84, 3-23 (2008).
10. Wheate, N.J., Brodie, C.R., Collins, J.G., Kemp, S., Aldrich-Wright, J.R., DNA intercalators in cancer therapy: organic and inorganic drugs and their spectroscopic tools of analysis, Mini Reviews Med. Chem., 7, 627-648 (2007)