Rosiglitazone Evaluated for Cardiovascular Outcomes -- An Interim Analysis.
Home, PD; Pocock, SJ; Beck-Nielsen, H; Gomis, R; Hanefeld, M; Jones, NP; Komajda, M; McMurray, JJ; RECORD Study Group;
Publisher: Massachusetts Medical Society
: A recent meta-analysis raised concern regarding an increased risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes associated with rosiglitazone treatment of type 2 diabetes.<br/> : We conducted an unplanned interim analysis of a randomized, multicenter, ... View more
1. Panzram G. Mortality and survival in type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1987;30:123-31. [Erratum, Diabetologia 1987;30:364.]
2. Stamler J, Vaccaro O, Neaton JD, Wentworth D. Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12-yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Interventional Trial. Diabetes Care 1993; 16:434-44.
3. Collins R, Armitage J, Parish S, Sleight P, Peto R. MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2003;361:2005-16.
4. Colhoun HM, Betteridge DJ, Durrington PN, et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with atorvastatin in type 2 diabetes in the Collaborative Atorvastatin Diabetes Study (CARDS): multicentre randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2004;364:685-96.
5. Garcia MJ, McNamara PM, Gordon T, Kannel WB. Morbidity and mortality in diabetics in the Framingham population: sixteen year follow-up study. Diabetes 1974;23:105-11.
6. Home PD, Pocock SJ, Beck-Nielsen H, et al. Rosiglitazone Evaluated for Cardiac n engl j med 357;1 www.nejm.org july 5, 2007 Outcomes and Regulation of Glycaemia in Diabetes (RECORD): study design and protocol. Diabetologia 2005;48:1726-35.
7. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet 1998; 352:837-53. [Erratum, Lancet 1999;354: 602.]
8. Idem. Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). Lancet 1998;352:854-65. [Erratum, Lancet 1998;352:1558.]
9. Nissen SE, Wolski K. Effect of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes. N Engl J Med 2007;356:2457-71.
10. Definition WHO. Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus and its Complications. Document no. WHO/NCD/NCS/ tion, 2005. (Accessed June 8, 2007, at http:// 99.2. Geneva: World Health Organization, www.idf.org/home/index.cfm?unode= 1999. B7462CCB-3A4C-472C-80E4-