We investigate the degree of control that can be exercised over an optically trapped microscopic non-spherical force probe. By position clamping translational and rotational modes in different ways, we are able to dramatically improve the position resolution of our prob... View more
1. A. Ashkin, J. Dziedzic, J. Bjorkholm, and S. Chu, “Observation of a single-beam gradient force optical trap for dielectric particles,” Opt. Lett. 11(5), 288-290 (1986).
2. D. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature 424(6950), 810-816 (2003).
3. P. J. Rodrigo, V. R. Daria, and J. Glu¨ckstad, “Real-time three-dimensional optical micromanipulation of multiple particles and living cells,” Opt. Lett. 29(19), 2270-2272 (2004).
4. S. H. Simpson and S. Hanna, “Thermal motion of a holographically trapped SPM-like probe,” Nanotechnology 20(39), 395710 (2009).
5. O. M. Marago, P. H. Jones, F. Bonaccorso, V. Scardaci, P. G. Gucciardi, A. G. Rozhin, and A. C. Ferrari, “Femtonewton force sensing with optically trapped nanotubes,” Nano Lett. 8(10), 3211-3216 (2008).
6. F. C. Cheong and D. G. Grier, “Rotational and translational diffusion of copper oxide nanorods measured with holographic video microscopy,” Opt. Exp. 18(7), 6555-6562 (2010).
7. D. B. Phillips, D. M. Carberry, S. H. Simpson, H. Schaefer, M. Steinhart, R. Bowman, G. M. Gibson, M. J. Padgett, S. Hanna, and M. J. Miles, “Optimizing the optical trapping stiffness of holographically trapped microrods using high-speed video tracking,” J. Opt. 13(4, Sp. Iss. SI), 044023 (2011).
8. D. M. Carberry, S. H. Simpson, J. A. Grieve, Y. Wang, H. Schafer, M. Steinhart, R. Bowman, G. M. Gibson, M. J. Padgett, S. Hanna, and M. J. Miles, “Calibration of optically trapped nanotools,” Nanotechnology 21(17) 175501 (2010).
9. T. Asavei, V. L. Y. Loke, M. Barbieri, T. A. Nieminen, N. R. Heckenberg, and H. Rubinsztein-Dunlop, “Optical angular momentum transfer to microrotors fabricated by two-photon photopolymerization,” New J. Phys. 11, 093021 (2009).
10. K. D. Wulff, D. G. Cole, and R. L. Clark, “Servo control of an optical trap,” Appl. Opt. 46(22), 4923-4931 (2007).