A new multi-spectral imaging system for examining paintings
Liang, H; Saunders, D; Cupitt, J;
Publisher: Society for Imaging Science and Technology
A new multispectral system developed at the National Gallery is presented. The system is capable of measuring the spectral reflectance per pixel of a painting. These spectra are found to be almost as accurate as those recorded with a spectrophotometer; there is no need ... View more
1. K. Martinez, J. Cupitt and D. Saunders, “High Resolution Colorimetic Imaging of Paintings”, Proc. SPIE 1901, 25 (1993).
2. D. Saunders, H. Chahine and J. Cupitt, “Long-term Colour Change Measurement: Some Results After Twenty Years”, National Gallery Technical Bulletin 17, 81 (1996).
3. K. Martinez, J. Cupitt, D. Saunders, and R. Pillay, “10 years of Art imaging research”, Proc. IEEE 90(1), 28 (2002).
4. R. S. Berns and F. H. Imai, “The use of multi-channel visible spectrum imaging for pigment identification”, ICOM Committee for Conservation, 13th Triennial Meeting , (ICOM Committee for Conservation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2002) p. 217.
5. C. Balas, V. Papadakis, N. Papadakis, A. Papadakis, E. Vazgiouraki, and G. Themelis, “A novel hyper-spectral imaging apparatus for the non-destructive analysis of objects of artistic and historic value”, J. Cultural Heritage 4, 330 (2003).
7. C. Lahanier, G. Alquié, P. Cotte, C. Christodes, C. de Deyne, R. Pillay, D. Saunders, and F. Schmitt, “CRISATEL: A High Definition and Spectral Digitisation of Paintings with Simulation of Varnish Removal”, (ICOM Committee for Conservation, 13th Triennial Meeting, ICOM Committee for Conservation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2002) p. 295.
8. A. Ribés, H. Brettel, F. Schmitt, H. Liang, J. Cupitt, and D. Saunders, “Color and Multispectral Imaging with the CRISATEL Multispectral System”, Proc. IS&T's PICS, (IS&T, Springfield, VA, 2003) p. 215.
9. K. McLaren, “The development of the CIE 1976 (L*a*b*) uniform colour-space and colour-difference formula,” J. Soc. Dyers Colourists, 92, 338 (1976).
10. M. R. Luo, G. Cui and B. Rigg, “The Development of the CIE 2000 ColourDifference Formula: CIEDE2000”, Color Res. Appl. 26(5), 340 (2001).