A patient-centred approach to estimate total annual healthcare cost by body mass index in the UK Counterweight programme
Tigbe, W.W.; Briggs, A.H.; Lean, M.E.J.;
Publisher: Nature Publishing Group
<p>Background: Previous studies, based on relative risks for certain secondary diseases, have shown greater healthcare costs in higher body mass index (BMI) categories. The present study quantifies the relationship between BMI and total healthcare expenditure, wit... View more
2. Scottish Health Survey 2008. The Scottish Government. ISBN 9780755981076, UK, Sept 29, 2009. Available online at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/09/28102003/76 (Accessed may 2012).
3. Bray GA. Pathophysiology of obesity. AJCN 1992; 55: 488S-494S.
4. Counterweight Project Team. Influence of body mass index on prescribing costs and potential cost savings of a weight management programme in primary care. J Health Ser Res & Policy 2008; 13(3): 158-166.
5. HMSO Summary of the House of Commons Health Committee report on Obesity 2004. Available online at: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/cmhealth.htm (Accessed May 2012).
6. Birmingham CL, Muller JL, Palepu A, Spinelli JJ, Anis AH. The cost of obesity in Canada. Can Med Assoc Journal 1999; 160: 483-488.
7. Katzmarzyk PT, Janssen I. The economic costs associated with physical inactivity and obesity in Canada: an update. Can J Applied Physio 2004; 29: 90-115.
Wolf AM, Finer N, Allshouse AA, Pendergast KB, Sherrill BH, Caterson I, et al. PROCEED: Prospective Obesity Cohort of Economic Evaluation and Determinants: baseline health and healthcare utilization of the US sample. Diab Obesity Metabol 2008; 10(12): 1248-1260.
9. Quesenberry Jr CP, Caan B, Jacobson A. Obesity, health services use, and healthcare costs among members of a health maintenance organization. Archive Internal Med 1998; 158(5): 466- 472.
10. Finkelstein MM. Obesity, cigarette smoking and the cost of physicians' services in Ontario. Can J Public Health 2001; 92: 437-440.
11. Sturm R. The effects of obesity, smoking, and drinking on medical problems and costs. Health Affilates (Millwood) 2002; 21(2): 245-253.