It has been reported that lower doses of the opioid antagonist naltrexone are able to reduce tumour growth by interfering with cell signalling as well as by modifying the immune system. We have evaluated the gene expression profile of a cancer cell line after treatment ... View more
1. McLaughlin PJ and Zagon IS. Duration of opioid receptor blockade determines biotherapeutic response. Biochem Pharmacol 97: 236-246, 2015.
2. Tegeder I and Geisslinger G. Opioids as modulators of cell death and survival-- unraveling mechanisms and revealing new indications. Pharmacol Rev 56: 351- 369, 2004.
3. Afsharimani B, Cabot P and Parat MO. Morphine and tumor growth and metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev 30: 225-238, 2011.
4. Gach K, Szemraj J, Stasikowska-Kanicka O, Danilewicz M and Janecka A. Opioidreceptor gene expression and localization in cancer cells. Cent Eur J Biol 6: 10- 15, 2011.
5. Bimonte S, Barbieri A, Palma G and Arra C. The Role of Morphine in Animal Models of Human Cancer: Does Morphine Promote or Inhibit the Tumor Growth? BioMed Research International 2013: 258141, 2013.
6. Kim MS, Cheong YP, So HS, Lee KM, Kim TY, Oh J, et al. Protective effects of morphine in peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis of primary rat neonatal astrocytes: potential involvement of G protein and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3 kinase). Biochem Pharmacol 61: 779-786, 2001.
7. Cui Y, Zhang XQ, Cui Y, Xin WJ, Jing J and Liu XG. Activation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-mammalian target of Rapamycin signaling pathway in the hippocampus is essential for the acquisition of morphine-induced place preference in rats. Neuroscience 171: 134-143, 2010.
8. Gach K, Wyrębska A, Fichna J and Janecka A. The role of morphine in regulation of cancer cell growth. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology 384: 221-230, 2011.
9. Ishikawa M, Tanno K, Kamo A, Takayanagi Y and Sasaki K. Enhancement of tumor growth by morphine and its possible mechanism in mice. Biol Pharm Bull 16: 762-766, 1993.
10. Boland JW, McWilliams K, Ahmedzai SH and Pockley AG. Effects of opioids on immunologic parameters that are relevant to anti-tumour immune potential in patients with cancer: a systematic literature review. Br J Cancer 111: 866-873, 2014.