Burden of physical, psychological and social ill-health during and after pregnancy among women in India, Pakistan, Kenya and Malawi
Aminu, Mamuda; Dickinson, Fiona;
Publisher: BMJ Publishing Group
Subject: wq_20 | wa_30 | wq_100 | wq_200 | wa_310
Introduction For every woman who dies during pregnancy and childbirth, many more suffer ill-health, the burden of which is highest in low-resource settings. We sought to assess the extent and types of maternal morbidity. Methods Descriptive observational cross-sectional... View more
1. United Nations. Every Woman, Every Child: Global Strategy. New York: United Nations, 2015.
2. World Health Organization. Constitution of the World Health Organization as adapted by the International Health Conference. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1946.
3. United Nations. Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. New York: World Health Organization, 2015.
4. Liskin LS. Maternal morbidity in developing countries: a review and comments. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1992;37:77-87.
5. Datta KK, Sharma RS, Razack PMA, et al. Morbidity pattern among rural women in Alwar-Rajasthan - A cohort study. Health Popul Perspect Issues 1980;3:282-92.
6. Koblinsky MA. Beyond maternal mortality--magnitude, interrelationship, and consequences of women's health, pregnancyrelated complications and nutritional status on pregnancy outcomes. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1995;48:S21-S32.
7. Zafar S, Jean-Baptiste R, Rahman A, et al. Non-Life Threatening Maternal Morbidity: Cross Sectional Surveys from Malawi and Pakistan. PLoS One 2015;10:e0138026.
8. Say L, Souza JP, Pattinson RC. WHO working group on Maternal Mortality and Morbidity classifications. Maternal near miss-towards a standard tool for monitoring quality of maternal health care. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2009;23:287-96.
9. WHO, UNFPA, UNICEF. Monitoring emergency obstetric care a handbook. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2009.
10. Vos T, Barber RM, Bell B, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2015;386:743-800.