Background: A common complication after stroke is development of cognitive impairment and dementia.\ud However, effective strategies for reducing the risk of developing these problems remain undefined. Potential\ud strategies include intensive lowering of blood pressure... View more
1. Algra A, van Gijn J. Aspirin at any dose above 30 mg offers only modest protection after cerebral ischaemia. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1996;60(2):197-9.
2. EAFT (European Atrial Fibrillation Trial) Study Group. Secondary prevention in non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation after TIA or minor stroke. Lancet. 1993;342:1255-62.
3. Halkes PH, Gray LJ, Bath PM, Diener HC, Guiraud-Chaumeil B, Yatsu FM, et al. Dipyridamole plus aspirin versus aspirin alone in secondary prevention after TIA or stroke: a meta-analysis by risk. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008;79(11):1218-23.
4. Leonardi-Bee J, Bath PM, Bousser MG, Davalos A, Diener H-C, Guiraud-Chaumeil B, et al. Dipyridamole for preventing recurrent ischemic stroke and other vascular events: a meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomized controlled trials. Stroke. 2005;36(1):162-8.
5. Manktelow BN, Potter JF. Interventions in the management of serum lipids for preventing stroke recurrence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;8(3):CD002091.
6. Rashid P, Leonardi-Bee J, Bath P. Blood pressure reduction and the secondary prevention of stroke and other vascular events: a systematic review. Stroke. 2003;34:2741-9.
8. Blackburn D, Krishnan K, Fox L, Ballard C, Burns A, Ford G, et al. Prevention of Decline in Cognition after Stroke Trial (PODCAST): a study protocol for a factorial randomised controlled trial of intensive versus guideline lowering of blood pressure and lipids. Trials J. 2013;14:401.
9. Mioshi E, Dawson K, Mitchell J, Arnold R, Hodges JR. The Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination Revised (ACE-R): a brief cognitive test battery for dementia screening. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006;21(11):1078-85.
10. Pendlebury ST, Mariz J, Bull L, Mehta Z, Rothwell PM. MoCA, ACE-R, and MMSE versus the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke-Canadian Stroke Network Vascular Cognitive Impairment Harmonization Standards Neuropsychological Battery after TIA and stroke. Stroke. 2012;43(2):464-9.