Purpose of review: To highlight recent breakthroughs and controversies in the use of myoblast models to uncover cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating skeletal muscle hypertrophy and atrophy.\ud \ud Recent findings: Myoblast cultures provide key mechanistic models... View more
1. Amthor H, Otto A, Vulin A, Rochat A, Dumonceaux J, Garcia L, et al. Muscle hypertrophy driven by myostatin blockade does not require stem/precursor-cell activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 May 5;106(18):7479-84.
2. Schultz SS, Lucas PA. Human stem cells isolated from adult skeletal muscle differentiate into neural phenotypes. J Neurosci Methods. 2006 Apr 15;152(1-2):144-55.
3. Lee KS, Kim HJ, Li QL, Chi XZ, Ueta C, Komori T, et al. Runx2 is a common target of transforming growth factor beta1 and bone morphogenetic protein 2, and cooperation between Runx2 and Smad5 induces osteoblast-specific gene expression in the pluripotent mesenchymal precursor cell line C2C12. Mol Cell Biol. 2000 Dec;20(23):8783-92.
4. Katagiri T, Yamaguchi A, Komaki M, Abe E, Takahashi N, Ikeda T, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 converts the differentiation pathway of C2C12 myoblasts into the osteoblast lineage. J Cell Biol. 1994 Dec;127(6 Pt 1):1755-66.
5. Peng H, Huard J. Muscle-derived stem cells for musculoskeletal tissue regeneration and repair. Transpl Immunol. 2004 Apr;12(3-4):311-9.
6. Lee SJ, Lee EJ, Kim SH, Choi I, Lee DM, Lee HJ, et al. IL-17A promotes transdifferentiation of mouse myoblast cells (C2C12) into adipocytes by increasing the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma through CAAT/enhancer binding protein beta signaling. Biotechnol Lett. 2010 Oct 20.
7. Saini A, Faulkner S, Al-Shanti N, Stewart C. Powerful signals for weak muscles. Ageing Res Rev. 2009 Oct;8(4):251-67.
8. Mudera V, Smith AS, Brady M, Lewis MP. The effect of cell density on the maturation and contractile ability of muscle derived cells in a 3D tissue-engineered skeletal muscle model and determination of the cellular and mechanical stimuli required for the synthesis of a postural phenotype. J Cell Physiol. 2010 Jun 7;225:646-53.
9. Dennis RG, Kosnik PE, 2nd. Excitability and isometric contractile properties of mammalian skeletal muscle constructs engineered in vitro. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2000 May;36(5):327-35.
10. Scime A, Rudnicki MA. Anabolic potential and regulation of the skeletal muscle satellite cell populations. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006 May;9(3):214-9.