Carbohydrate supplementation does not blunt the prolonged exercise-induced reduction of in vivo immunity
Publisher: Springer Link
Subject: Q1 | Q | R | RC1235 | RA784
Background\ud \ud Carbohydrate (CHO) supplementation during prolonged exercise is widely acknowledged to blunt in vitro immunoendocrine responses, but no study has investigated in vivo immunity.\ud Purpose\ud \ud To determine the effect of CHO supplementation during pro... View more
1. Gleeson M (2007) Immune function in sport and exercise. J Appl Physiol 103:693 9. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00008.2007
2. Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Shephard RJ, et al. (2011) Position statement. Part one: Immune function and exercise. Exerc Immunol Rev 17:6 63.
3. Robson PJ, Blannin AK, Walsh NP, et al. (1999) Effects of exercise intensity, duration and recovery on in vitro neutrophil function in male athletes. Int J Sports Med 20:128 35. doi: 10.1055/s-2007-971106
4. Davison G, Gleeson M (2005) Influence of acute vitamin C and/or carbohydrate ingestion on hormonal, cytokine, and immune responses to prolonged exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 15:465 79.
5. Lancaster GI, Khan Q, Drysdale PT, et al. (2005) Effect of prolonged exercise and carbohydrate ingestion on type 1 and type 2 T lymphocyte distribution and intracellular cytokine production in humans. J Appl Physiol 98:565 71. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00754.2004
6. Gunzer W, Konrad M, Pail E (2012) Exercise-induced immunodepression in endurance athletes and nutritional intervention with carbohydrate, protein and fat-what is possible, what is not? Nutrients 4:1187 212. doi: 10.3390/nu4091187
7. Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Pyne DB, et al. (2011) Position statement. Part two: Maintaining immune health. Exerc Immunol Rev 17:64 103.
8. Gleeson M (2006) Can nutrition limit exercise-induced immunodepression? Nutr Rev 64:119 31. doi: 10.1301/nr.2006.mar.119
9. Henson DA, Nieman DC, Blodgett AD, et al. (1999) Influence of exercise mode and carbohydrate on the immune response to prolonged exercise. Int J Sport Nutr 9:213-228.
10. Scharhag J, Meyer T, Gabriel HHW, et al. (2002) Mobilization and oxidative burst of neutrophils are influenced by carbohydrate supplementation during prolonged cycling in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol 87:584 587. doi: 10.1007/s00421-002-0642-0