Evidence-Based Parenting Interventions to Promote Secure Attachment : Findings From a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Wright, Barry John Debenham; Edginton, Elizabeth;
Various interventions are used in clinical practice to address insecure or disorganized attachment patterns and attachment disorders. The most common of these are parenting interventions, but not all have a robust empirical evidence base. We undertook a systematic revie... View more
1. van Ijzendoorn M, Schuengel C, Bakermans-Kranenburg M. Disorganized attachment in early childhood: meta-analysis of precursors, concomitants, and sequelae. Dev Psychopathol. 1999;11:225-250. doi:10.1017/s0954579499002035.
2. Drake K, Belsky J, Fearon R. From early attachment to engagement with learning in school: the role of self-regulation and persistence. Dev Psychol. 2014;50:1350-1361. doi:10.1037/a0032779.
3. Groh A, Fearon R, Bakermans-Kranenburg M, van IJzendoorn M, Steele R, Roisman G. The significance of attachment security for children's social competence with peers: a meta-analytic study. Attach Hum Dev. 2014;16:103-136. doi:10.1080/14616734.2014.883636.
4. Raby K, Steele R, Carlson E, Sroufe L. Continuities and changes in infant attachment patterns across two generations. Attach Hum Dev. 2015;17:414-428. doi:10.1080/ 14616734.2015.1067824.
5. Boris N, Zeanah C. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with reactive attachment disorder of infancy and early childhood. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005;44:1206-1219. doi:10.1097/01.chi.0000177056.41655.ce.
6. Wright B, Barry M, Hughes E et al. Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of parenting interventions for children with severe attachment problems: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2015;19(52):1-348. doi:10.3310/hta19520.
7. University of York, Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Early parenting interventions for families with young children showing severe attachment problems: an integrated evidence synthesis. http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/ PROSPERO/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42011001395. Published July 7, 2011. Accessed February 26, 2016.
8. Ammaniti M, Speranza A, Tambelli R et al. A prevention and promotion intervention program in the field of motherinfant relationship. Infant Ment Health J. 2006;27:70-90. doi:10.1002/imhj.20081.
9. Chatoor I, Getson P, Menvielle E et al. A feeding scale for research and clinical practice to assess motherinfant interactions in the first three years of life. Infant Ment Health J. 1997;18:76-91. doi:10.1002/(sici)1097- 0355(199721)18:1<76::aid-imhj6>3.0.co;2-z.
10. Tronick E, Als H, Adamson L, Wise S, Brazelton T. The infant's response to entrapment between contradictory messages in face-to-face interaction. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1978;17(1):1-13. doi:10.1016/s0002-7138(09)62273-1.