Prototype Positive Control Wells for Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests: Prospective Evaluation of Implementation Among Health Workers in Lao People's Democratic Republic and Uganda.
Bell, D; Bwanika, JB; Cunningham, J; Gatton, M; González, IJ; Hopkins, H; Kibira, SP; Kyabayinze, DJ; Mayxay, M; Ndawula, B; Newton, PN; Phommasone, K; Streat, E; Umlauf, R; Malaria RDT Positive Control Well Field Study Group;
Publisher: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
mesheuropmc: parasitic diseases
Rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) are widely used for malaria diagnosis, but lack of quality control at point of care restricts trust in test results. Prototype positive control wells (PCW) containing recombinant malaria antigens have been developed to identify poor-quality... View more
1. World Health Organization, 2015. Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria, 3rd edition. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
2. World Health Organization, 2015. World Malaria Report 2015. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
3. Bell D, Wongsrichanalai C, Barnwell JW, 2006. Ensuring quality and access for malaria diagnosis: how can it be achieved? Nat Rev Microbiol 4: 682-695.
4. Chiodini PL, Bowers K, Jorgensen P, Barnwell JW, Grady KK, Luchavez J, Moody AH, Cenizal A, Bell D, 2007. The heat stability of Plasmodium lactate dehydrogenase-based and histidine-rich protein 2-based malaria rapid diagnostic tests. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101: 331-337.
5. Jorgensen P, Chanthap L, Rebueno A, Tsuyuoka R, Bell D, 2006. Malaria rapid diagnostic tests in tropical climates: the need for a cool chain. Am J Trop Med Hyg 74: 750-754.
6. Albertini A, Lee E, Coulibaly SO, Sleshi M, Faye B, Mationg ML, Ouedraogo K, Tsadik AG, Feleke SM, Diallo I, Gaye O, Luchavez J, Bennett J, Bell D, 2012. Malaria rapid diagnostic test transport and storage conditions in Burkina Faso, Senegal, Ethiopia and the Philippines. Malar J 11: 406.
7. World Health Organization/Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015. Summary Results of WHO Product Testing of Malaria RDTs: Rounds 1-6 (2008-2015). Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
8. Boadu NY, Amuasi J, Ansong D, Einsiedel E, Menon D, Yanow SK, 2016. Challenges with implementing malaria rapid diagnostic tests at primary care facilities in a Ghanaian district: a qualitative study. Malar J 15: 126.
9. Chandler CI, Whitty CJ, Ansah EK, 2010. How can malaria rapid diagnostic tests achieve their potential? A qualitative study of a trial at health facilities in Ghana. Malar J 9: 95.
10. Masanja IM, McMorrow ML, Maganga MB, Sumari D, Udhayakumar V, McElroy PD, Kachur SP, Lucchi NW, 2015. Quality assurance of malaria rapid diagnostic tests used for routine patient care in rural Tanzania: microscopy versus real-time polymerase chain reaction. Malar J 14: 85.