Development of a generic working definition of 'supportive care'
Cramp, F. A.; Bennett, M.;
Publisher: BMJ Publishing Group
Context:\ud The term ‘supportive care’, despite its everyday and widespread use, remains an ambiguous concept that lacks clarity. A generic definition would underpin the development of services and provide a basis for disease specific approaches to care.\ud \ud Objectiv... View more
1. World Health Organisation. Palliative Care: The Solid Facts. World Health Organisation, Geneva, 2004.
2. Seymour J, Witherspoon R, Gott M, Ross H, Payne S. End-of-Life Care: Promoting Comfort, Choice and Well-Being for Older People. The Policy Press in Association with Help the Aged, Bristol, 2005.
3. Skilbeck J. End of life care: a discursive analysis of specialist palliative care nursing. J Adv Nurs 2005; 51(4): 324-325.
4. Noble H, Kelly D, Rawlings-Anderson K, Meyer J. A concept analysis of renal supportive care: the changing world of nephrology. J Adv Nurs 2007; 59(6): 644-653.
5. National Council for Hospice and Specialist Palliative Care Services. Definitions of Supportive and Palliative Care. Briefing Number 11; September 2002.
6. National Institute for Clinical Excellence. Improving Supportive and Palliative Care for Adults with Cancer. National Institute for Clinical Excellence, London, March 2004.
7. NHS Modernisation Agency - Coronary Heart Disease Collaborative. Palliative and Supportive Care in Heart Failure. NHS Modernisation Agency, Department of Health, December 2004
8. Delbecq AL, Gustafson D H, Van de Ven A H. Group Techniques for Program Planning: A guide to nominal group and Delphi processes. Management Application Series. Glenview, Illinois: Scott Foresman, 1975
9. Royse D, Thyer BA, Padgett DK, Logan TK. Program evaluation: A introduction. 4th ed. Belmont, California: Thomson Higher Education, 2006 10.Jones J, Hunter D. Consensus methods for medical and health services research. BMJ 1995;311 (7001): 376-380 11.Mullen PM. Delphi: myths and reality. J Health Organ Manag 2003; 17(1) 37- 52.
12.MedicineNet.com. Definition of Supportive Care. Available from: http://www.medterms.com [Accessed: 2nd September 2009] 13.Mondofacto Dictionary. Supportive Care. 1998 Available from: http://www.mondofacto.com [Accessed: 2nd September 2009] 14.Schoenfeldt M, Trimble EL, Denicoff AM, O'Mara A. Clinical Trials of Supportive Care/Palliative Care. Oncology 2003; 17(11): 1578&1583.