Objectives: We aimed to determine the effect of surgical approach on the histology of the femoral head following resurfacing of the hip.\ud \ud Methods: We performed a histological assessment of the bone under the femoral component taken from retrieval specimens of pati... View more
1. McMinn D, Daniel J. History and modern concepts in surface replacement. Proc Inst Mech Eng H 2006;220:239-251.
2. Quesada MJ, Marker DR, Mont MA. Metal-on-metal hip resurfacing: advantages and disadvantages. J Arthroplasty 2008;23:69-73.
3. Barrack RL. Metal-metal hip resurfacing offers advantages over traditional arthroplasty in selected patients. Orthopedics 2007;30:725-726.
4. Ollivere B, Duckett S, August A, Porteous M. The Birmingham Hip Resurfacing: 5-year clinical and radiographic results from a District General Hospital. Int Orthop 2010;34:631-634.
5. Shimmin AJ, Bare J, Back DL. Complications associated with hip resurfacing arthroplasty. Orthop Clin North Am 2005;36:187-193.
6. Smith AJ, Dieppe P, Howard PW, Blom AW. Failure rates of metal-on-metal hip resurfacings: analysis of data from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales. Lancet 2012;380:1759-1766.
7. Morlock MM, Bishop N, Zustin J, et al. Modes of implant failure after hip resurfacing: morphological and wear analysis of 267 retrieval specimens. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 2008;90-A(Suppl 3):89-95.
8. Steffen RT, Athanasou NA, Gill HS, Murray DW. Avascular necrosis associated with fracture of the femoral neck after hip resurfacing: histological assessment of femoral bone from retrieval specimens. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2010;92-B:787-793.
9. Campbell P, Takamura K, Lundergan W, Esposito C, Amstutz HC. Cement technique changes improved hip resurfacing longevity: implant retrieval findings. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 2009;67:146-153.
10. Griffiths DE, Acton K, Hull JB. Hip resurfacing with preservation of femoral head blood supply. Surgeon 2008;6:115-119.