Genome-wide Meta-analyses of Breast, Ovarian and Prostate Cancer Association Studies Identify Multiple New Susceptibility Loci Shared by At Least Two Cancer Types
Kar, S.P.; Beesley, J.; Cox, A.; et al,;
Publisher: American Association for Cancer Research
Breast, ovarian, and prostate cancers are hormone-related and may have a shared genetic basis but this has\ud not been investigated systematically by genome-wide association (GWA) studies. Meta-analyses\ud combining the largest GWA meta-analysis data sets for these canc... View more
1. Henderson BE, Feigelson HS. Hormonal carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21:427 33.
2. U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999 2012 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. [Internet]. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2015; [cited 2015 Sep 22]. Available from: www.cdc.gov/uscs
3. Sellers TA, Potter JD, Rich SS, Drinkard CR, Bostick RM, Kushi LH, et al. Familial clustering of breast and prostate cancers and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1994;86:1860 5.
4. Tung K-H, Goodman MT, Wu AH, McDuffie K, Wilkens LR, Nomura AMY, et al. Aggregation of ovarian cancer with breast, ovarian, colorectal, and prostate cancer in first-degree relatives. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;159:750 8.
5. Cerhan JR, Parker AS, Putnam SD, Chiu BC, Lynch CF, Cohen MB, et al. Family history and prostate cancer risk in a population-based cohort of Iowa men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1999;8:53 60.
6. Amundadottir LT, Thorvaldsson S, Gudbjartsson DF, Sulem P, Kristjansson K, Arnason S, et al. Cancer as a complex phenotype: pattern of cancer distribution within and beyond the nuclear family. PLoS Med. 2004;1:e65.
Michailidou K, Beesley J, Lindstrom S, Canisius S, Dennis J, Lush MJ, et al. Genome-wide association analysis of more than 120,000 individuals identifies 15 new susceptibility loci for breast cancer. Nat Genet. 2015;47:373 80.
8. Kuchenbaecker KB, Ramus SJ, Tyrer J, Lee A, Shen HC, Beesley J, et al. Identification of six new susceptibility loci for invasive epithelial ovarian cancer. Nat Genet. 2015;47:164 71.
10. Bojesen SE, Pooley KA, Johnatty SE, Beesley J, Michailidou K, Tyrer JP, et al. Multiple independent variants at the TERT locus are associated with telomere length and risks of breast and ovarian cancer. Nat Genet. 2013;45:371 84, 384e1 2.
11. Stevens KN, Fredericksen Z, Vachon CM, Wang X, Margolin S, Lindblom A, et al. 19p13.1 is a triple-negative-specific breast cancer susceptibility locus. Cancer Res. 2012;72:1795 803.