We discuss here our observations of the interaction of bookshop customers with the books and with each other. Contrary to our initial expectations, customers do not necessarily engage in focused, joint information search, as observed in libraries, but rather the booksho... View more
1. Aabø, S., & Audunson, R. (2012). Use of library space and the library as place. Library & Information Science Research, 34(2), Elsevier, 138-149.
2. Baharin, H., & Mühlberger, R. (2009). Living with the sound of the past: experiencing sonic atomic interaction using the sound diary. In Procs. 10th Intl. Conf. NZ Chapter of the ACM's Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 101-104). ACM.
3. Barden, P., et al (2012). Telematic dinner party: Designing for togetherness through play and performance. Procs. Designing Interactive Systems, ACM press, 38-47.
4. Bohley, K.T. (2011). “Browsing madness” and global sponsors of literacy: The politics and discourse of deterritorialized reading practices and space in Singapore. Journal of Audience and Reception Studies, 8(2), 85-119.
5. Bryant, J.E., Matthews, G., and Walton, G. 2009. Academic libraries and social learning space: A case study of Loughborough University Library, UK. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 41(1), 7-18.
6. Buchanan, G. & McKay, D. (2011). In the Bookshop: Examining Popular Search Strategies. Proceedings of ACM/IEEE JCDL 2011 Ottawa, Canada, ACM, 269-278.
7. Cunningham, S.J. (2011). Children in the physical collection: Implications for the digital library. Procs. American Society for Information Science and Technology, vol 48/1, 1-10.
8. Hinze, A. D. McKay, N. Vanderschantz, C. Timpany, SJ Cunningham: 2012. “Book selection behavior in the physical library: implications for ebook collections”. Procs. ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, 305-314.
9. Hertzum, M. (2008). Collaborative Information Seeking: The Combined Activity of Information Seeking and Collaborative Grounding, 2008, Information Processing & Management 44(2): 957-962
10. Hyldegard, J. (2006). Collaborative information behavior--exploring Kuhlthau's Information Search Process model in a group-based educational setting. Information Processing & Management, 42, 276-298.