Long-Term Athletic Development, Part 2: barriers to success and potential solutions
Lloyd, Rhodri S; Oliver, Jon L; Faigenbaum, Avery D; Howard, Rick; De Ste Croix, Mark B; Williams, Craig A; Best, Thomas M; Alvar, Brent A; Micheli, Lyle J; Thomas, D. Phillip; Hatfield, Disa L; Cronin, John B; Myer, Gregory D;
The first installment of this two-part commentary reviewed existing models of long-term athletic development. However, irrespective of the model that is adopted by practitioners, existing structures within competitive youth sports in addition to the prevalence of physic... View more
1. American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Sports Medicine and Fitness. Intensive training and sports specialization in young athletes. Pediatrics 106: 154-157, 2000.
2. American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on School Health. The crucial role of recess in school. Pediatrics 131: 182-188, 2013.
3. American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness. Baseball and softball. Pediatrics 129: e842-e856, 2012.
4. American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness, and Council on School Health. Active healthy living: Prevention of childhood obesity through increased physical activity. Pediatrics 117: 1834-1842, 2006.
5. Anderson, D. The Discipline and the profession. In: Foundations of Canadian Physical Education, Recreation, and Sports Studies. Dubuque, IA: Wm. C. Brown Publishers, 1989.
6. Armstrong, LE and VanHeest, JL. The unknown mechanism of the overtraining syndrome: Clues from depression and psychoneuroimmunology. Sports Med 32: 185-209, 2002.
7. Baker, J, Cote, J, and Abernethy, B. Sport specific practice and the development of expert decision-making in team ball sports. J Appl Psychol 15: 12-25, 2003.
8. Balyi, I and Hamilton, A. Long-Term Athlete Development: Trainability in Childhood and Adolescence. Windows of Opportunity. Optimal Trainability. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: National Coaching Institute British Columbia and Advanced Training and Performance Ltd, 2004.
9. Behringer, M, vom Heede, A, Matthews, M, and Mester, J. Effects of strength training on motor performance skills in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis. Pediatr Exerc Sci 23: 186-206, 2011.
10. Bergeron, MF, Laird, MD, Marinik, EL, Brenner, JS, and Waller, JL. Repeated-bout exercise in the heat in young athletes: Physiological strain and perceptual responses. J Appl Physiol (1985) 106: 476-485, 2009.