Numerous plants cultivated in European gardens have a history of traditional medicinal uses. Some are native to Europe, while others are introduced from other geographical regions. Systematic pharmacological and phytochemical studies on these plants could yield valuable... View more
1. Habtemariam S (2010) Applying new science for old medicines: Targeting leukocyte-endothelial adhesions by antiiflammatory herbal drugs. Nat Prod Commun 5: 1329-1336.
2. Gyllenhaal C, Kadushin MR, Southavong B, Sydara K, Bouamanivong S, et al. (2012) Ethnobotanical approach versus random approach in the search for new bioactive compounds: support of a hypothesis. Pharm Biol 50: 30-41.
4. Darwin C (1859) On the origin of species by means of natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. John Murray, London, UK.
7. Habtemariam S (2011) The therapeutic potential of Berberis darwinii stem-
8. Khan I, Samad A, Khan AZ, Habtemariam S, Badshah A, et al. (2013) Molecular interactions of 4-acetoxy-plakinamine B with peripheral anionic and catalytic subsites of the aromatic gorge of acetylcholinesterase: Computational and structural insights. Pharm Biol 51: 722-727.
9. Bandyopadhyay S, Patra PH, Mahanti A, Mondal DK, Dandapat P, et al. (2013) Potential antibacterial activity of Berberine against multi drug resistant enterovirulent Escherichia coli isolated from yaks (Poephagus grunniens) with haemorrhagic diarrhoea. Asian Pac J Trop Med 6: 315-319.
10. Kong WJ, Xing XY, Xiao XH, Zhao YL, Wei JH, et al. (2012) Effect of Berberine on Escherichia coli, Bacillus subtilis, and their mixtures as determined by isothermal microcalorimetry. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 96: 503-510.
11. Zuo GY, Li Y, Han J, Wang GC, Zhang YL, et al. (2012) Antibacterial and synergy of Berberines with antibacterial agents against clinical multi-drug resistant isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Molecules 17: 10322-10330.
12. Mekawi M (1966) Effect of Berberine alkaloid on cholera vibro and its endotoxin. J Egypt Med Assoc 49: 554-559.
13. Fu H, Liu LG, Peng JP, Leng WC, Yang J, et al. (2010) Transcriptional profile of the Shigella flexneri response to an alkaloid: Berberine . FEMS Microbiol Lett 303: 169-175.