: To evaluate the association between weight gain in the first two years of life and the occurrence of wheezing, asthma, serum IgE, skin reactivity and pulmonary function.<br/> : Cohort study.<br/> : The metropolitan region of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.<br/> : The associa... View more
1. Ong KK, Ahmed ML, Emmett PM et al. (2000) Association between postnatal catch-up growth and obesity in childhood: prospective cohort study. BMJ 320, 967-971.
2. Barker DJP, Osmond C, Forsen TJ et al. (2005) Trajectories of growth among children who have coronary events as adults. N Engl J Med 353, 1802-1809.
3. Briana DD & Malamitsi-Puchner A (2009) Intrauterine growth restriction and adult disease: the role of adipocytokines. Eur J Endocrinol 160, 337-347.
4. Monteiro POA & Victora CG (2005) Rapid growth in infancy and childhood and obesity in later life - a systematic review. Obes Rev 6, 143-154.
5. Tantisira KG & Weiss ST (2001) Complex interactions in complex traits: obesity and asthma. Thorax 56, 64-74.
6. Mai XM, Gaddlin PO, Nilsson L et al. (2003) Asthma, lung function and allergy in 12-year-old children with very low birth weight: a prospective study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 14, 184-192.
7. Rona RJ, Smeeton NC, Bustos P et al. (2005) The early origins hypothesis with an emphasis on growth rate in the first year of life and asthma: a prospective study in Chile. Thorax 60, 549-554.
8. Flaherman V & Rutherford GW (2006) A meta-analysis of the effect of high weight on asthma. Arch Dis Child 91, 334-339.
9. Hancox RJ, Poulton R, Greene JM et al. (2009) Associations between birth weight, early childhood weight gain, and adult lung function. Thorax 64, 228-232.
10. Lucas JS, Inskip HM, Godfrey KM et al. (2004) Small size at birth and greater postnatal weight gain relationships to itno d1i7m0i,n5is3h4e-d54in0.fant lung function. Am J Respir Crit Care Med ir 11. Barreto ML, Genser B, Strina A et al. (2007) Effect of t city-wide sanitation programme on reduction in rate of u childhood diarrhoea in northeast Brazil: assessment by two N cohort studies. Lancet 9599, 1622-1628. 12. Prado MS, Cairncross S, Strina A et al. (2005) Asymptomatic ltah sgtiuadrdyiainsisSaalnvaddogrr,oBwrtahzili.nPyaorausnigtolcohgiyld1r3en1;, 5a1 -lo5n6g.itudinal e 13. Organizacio´ n Mundial de la Salud (1995) El estado f´ısico: H uso e interpretaci o´n de la antropometr´ıa. Se´rie de Informes Te´cnicos no. 854. Ginebra: OMS.