The effectiveness of bariatric surgery on long term psychosocial quality of life – A systematic review
Jumbe, S.; Bartlett, C.; Jumbe, S.; Meyrick, J.;
Summary\ud \ud Background\ud \ud Little is known about the psychological effects of bariatric surgery. This review aimed to assess long term effectiveness of bariatric surgery on psychosocial quality of life (QoL) of obese adults compared to non-surgical interventions.\... View more
1. The NHS Information Centre. Health Survey for England - 2008, physical activity and fitness; vol. 2 - methods and documentation. https://catalogue.ic.nhs.uk/publications/public-health/surveys/heal-surv-phys-acti-fitneng-2008/heal-surv-phys-acti-fitn-eng-2008-rep-v3.pdf (accessed on 31.12.13).
2. Sutton R. Adult anthropometric measures, overweight and obesity. The Health and Social Care Information Centre; 2011. Retrieved from https://catalogue.ic.nhs.uk/publications/public-health/surveys/heal-surv-eng2011/HSE2011-Ch10-Adult-obesity.pdf
3. Ogden CL, Yanovski SZ, Carroll MD, Flegal KM. The epidemiology of obesity. Gastroenterology, 2007; 132(6):2087-102.
4. Salome CM, King GG & Berend N. Physiology of obesity and effects on lung function. Journal of Applied Physiology, 2010; 108:206-11.
5. Whiteman DC, Sadeghi S, Pandeya N, Smithers BM, Gotley DC, Bain CJ,et al. Combined effects of obesity, acid reflux and smoking on the risk of adenocarcinomas of the oesophagus. Gut, 2008; 57(2):173-80
6. Griffiths LJ, Parsons TJ, Hill AJ. Self-esteem and quality of life in obese children and adolescents: a systematic review. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 2010; 5(4):282-304.
7. Wang F, Wild TC, Kipp W, Kuhle S, Veugelers PJ. The influence of childhood obesity on the development of self-esteem. Statistics Canada, Health Reports, 2009; 20(2):21-7. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/82-003-x2009002-eng.pdf (Accessed on 27 Jan 2014)
8. Puhl RM & Heuer CA. Obesity Stigma: Important Considerations for Public Health. American Journal of Public Health, 2010; 100(6):1019-1028. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.159491. PMCID: PMC2866597
9. Maggard MA, Shugarman LR, Suttorp M, et al. Meta-analysis: surgical treatment of obesity. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2005; 142(7):547-59.
10. Dombrowski SU, Knittle K, Avenell A, Araújo-Soares V & Sniehotta FF. Long term maintenance of weight loss with non-surgical interventions in obese adults: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. British Medical Journal, 2014; 348:g2646. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g2646.