Seroprevalence of HTLV-1 and 2 amongst mothers and children in Malawi within the context of a systematic review and meta-analysis of HTLV seroprevalence in Africa
Fox, James M; Mutalima, Nora; Molyneux, Elizabeth; Carpenter, Lucy M; Taylor, Graham P; Bland, Martin; Newton, Robert; Martin, Fabiola;
mesheuropmc: viruses | hemic and lymphatic diseases | immune system diseases | virus diseases
OBJECTIVES: Human T lymphotropic virus (HTLV)-1 causes T cell leukaemia and myelopathy. Together with HTLV-2 it is endemic in some African nations. Sero- prevalence data from Malawi are scarce, with no reports on associated disease incidence. HTLV seroprevalence and typ... View more
1. Martin F, Taylor GP, Jacobson S. Inflammatory manifestations of HTLV-1 and their therapeutic options. Exp Rev Clin Immunol 2014: 10: 1531-1546.
2. Gessain A, Cassar O. Epidemiological Aspects and World Distribution of HTLV-1 Infection. Front Microbiol 2012: 3: 388.
3. Roucoux DF, Murphy EL. The epidemiology and disease outcomes of human T-lymphotropic virus type II. AIDS Rev 2004: 6: 144-154.
4. Chang YB, Kaidarova Z, Hindes D et al. Seroprevalence and demographic determinants of human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 and 2 infections among first-time blood donors-United States, 2000-2009. J Infect Dis 2014: 209: 523-531.
5. Murphy EL, Wang B, Sacher RA et al. Respiratory and urinary tract infections, arthritis, and asthma associated with HTLV-I and HTLV-II infection. Emerg Infect Dis 2004: 10: 109-116.
6. Biswas HH, Kaidarova Z, Garratty G et al. Increased allcause and cancer mortality in HTLV-II infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010: 54: 290-296.
7. Araujo A, Hall WW. Human T-lymphotropic virus type II and neurological disease. Ann Neurol 2004: 56: 10-19.
8. Poiesz BJ, Ruscetti FW, Gazdar AF, Bunn PA, Minna JD, Gallo RC. Detection and isolation of type C retrovirus particles from fresh and cultured lymphocytes of a patient with cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1980: 77: 7415-7419.
9. Kalyanaraman VS, Sarngadharan MG, Robert-Guroff M, Miyoshi I, Golde D, Gallo RC. A new subtype of human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV-II) associated with a T-cell variant of hairy cell leukemia. Science 1982: 218: 571-573.
10. Calattini S, Chevalier SA, Duprez R et al. Discovery of a new human T-cell lymphotropic virus (HTLV-3) in Central Africa. Retrovirology 2005: 2: 30.