<p><b>Background and Purpose</b>: Elevated serum uric acid level is associated with poor outcome and increased risk of recurrent events after stroke. The xanthine oxidase inhibitor allopurinol lowers uric acid but also attenuates expression of inflamma... View more
1. Dawson J, Walters MR. Uric acid and xanthine oxidase: future therapeutic targets in the prevention of cardiovascular disease? Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006;62:633- 644.
2. Weir CJ, Muir SW, Walters MR, Lees KR. Serum urate as an independent predictor of poor outcome and vascular events after acute stroke. Stroke. 2003;34:1951-1957.
3. Cherubini A, Polidori MC, Bregnocchi M, Pezzuto S, Cecchetti R, Ingegni T, di Iorio A, Senin U, Mecocci P. Antioxidant profile and early outcome in stroke patients. Stroke. 2003;31:2295-2300.
4. Chamorro A, Obach V, Cervera A, Revilla M, Deulofeu R, Aponte JH. Prognostic significance of uric acid serum concentration in patients with acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2002;33:1048 -1052.
5. Høiggen A, Alderman M, Kjeldsen SE, Julius S, Devereux RB, De Faire U, Fyhrquist F, Ibsen H, Kristianson K, Lederballe-Pedersen O, Lindholm LH, Nieminen MS, Omvik P, Oparil S, Wedel H, Chen C, Dahlo¨ f B; LIFE Study Group. The impact of serum uric acid on cardiovascular outcomes in the LIFE study. Kidney Int. 2004;65: 1041-1049.
6. Berry C, Hamilton CA, Brosnan MJ, Magill FG, Berg GA, McMurray JJV, Dominiczak AF. Investigation into the sources of superoxide in human blood vessels: angiotensin II increases superoxide production in human internal mammary arteries. Circulation. 2000;106:221-226.
7. Dawson J, Quinn TQ, Walters MR. Xanthine oxidase inhibition-a new paradigm in management of cardiovascular risk. Curr Med Chem. 2007; 14:1879 -1886.
8. Okamoto H, Mizuno K, Hori T. Monocytes-derived multinucleated giant cells and sarcoidosis. J Dermatol Sci. 2003;31:119 -128.
9. Amaro S, Soy D, Obach V, Cervera A, Planas AM, Chamorro A. A pilot study of dual treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator and uric acid in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2007;38:2173.
10. George J, Carr E, Davies J, Belch JJF, Struthers A. High-dose allopurinol improves endothelial function by profoundly reducing vascular oxidative stress and not by lowering uric acid. Circulation. 2006;114:2508 -2516.