Trace amines, including tyramine and β-phenylethylamine (β-PEA), are constituents of many foods including chocolate, cheeses and wines and are generated by so-called ‘friendly’ bacteria such as Lactobacillus, Lactococcus and Enterococcus species, which are found in prob... View more
1. Burchett SA & Hicks TP (2006) The mysterious trace amines: protean neuromodulators of synaptic transmission in mammalian brain. Prog Neurobiol 79, 223 - 246.
2. Branchek TA & Blackburn TP (2003) Trace amine receptors as targets for novel therapeutics: legend, myth and fact. Curr Opin Pharmacol 3, 90 - 97.
3. Taylor CJ & Mahenthralingham E (2006) Functional foods and paediatric gastro-intestinal health and disease. Ann Trop Paediatrics 26, 79 - 85.
4. Fedorak RN & Madsen KL (2004) Probiotics and prebiotics in gastrointestinal disorders. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 20, 146 - 155.
5. Houghton LA & Whorwell PJ (2005) Towards a better understanding of abdominal bloating and distension in functional gastrointestinal disorders. Neurogastroenterol Motil 17, 500 - 511.
6. Kim HJ, Camilleri M, McKinzie S, et al. (2003) A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic, VSL 3, on gut transit and symptoms in diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17, 895 - 904.
7. Nobaek S, Johansson ML, Molin G, et al. (2000) Alteration of intestinal microflora is associated with reduction in abdominal bloating and pain in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 95, 1231 - 1238.
8. Kim HJ, Vazquez Roque MI, Camilleri M, et al. (2005) A randomized controlled trial of probiotic combination VSL 3 and placebo in irritable bowel syndrome. Neurogastroenterol Motil 17, 687 - 696.
9. Marcobal A, de la Rivas B & Mun˜oz R (2006) First genetic characterization of a bacterial (-phenylethylamine biosynthetic enzyme in Enterococcus faecium RM58. FEMS Microbiol Lett 258, 144 - 149.
10. Trendelenburg U (1972) Classification of sympathomimetic amines. In Catecholamines. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, vol. 33, pp. 336 - 362 [H Blascho and E Muscholl, editors]. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.