1. Inside your hospital, Dr Foster Hospital Guide 2001-2011. Dr Foster Intelligence; 2011. http://drfosterintelligence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ 2011/11/Hospital_Guide_2011.pdf.
2. Blunt I, Bardsley M, Dixon J: Trends in emergency admissions in England 2004-2009: is greater efficiency breeding inefficiency?. The Nuffield Trust; 2010. http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/publications/trends-emergency-admissionsengland-2004-2009.
3. Pitches D, Mohammed M, Lilford R: What is the empirical evidence that hospitals with higher-risk adjusted mortality rates provide poorer quality care? A systematic review of the literature. BMC Health Serv Res 2007, 7(1):91.
4. Lilford R, Pronovost P: Using hospital mortality rates to judge hospital performance: a bad idea that just won't go away. BMJ 2010, 340:c2016. [OpenAIRE]
5. Shahian DM, Wolf RE, Iezzoni LI, Kirle L, Normand S-LT: Variability in the measurement of hospital-wide mortality rates. N Engl J Med 2010, 363(26):2530-2539. [OpenAIRE]
6. Bottle A, Jarman B, Aylin P: Hospital standardized mortality ratios: sensitivity analyses on the impact of coding. Health Serv Res 2011, 46(6pt1):1741-1761.
7. Mohammed MA, Deeks JJ, Girling A, Rudge G, Carmalt M, Stevens AJ, Lilford RJ: Evidence of methodological bias in hospital standardised mortality ratios: retrospective database study of English hospitals. BMJ 2009, 338(mar18_2):b780.
8. Harker R: NHS funding and expenditure. House of Commons Library; 2011.
9. Whalley L: Report from the steering group for the national review of the hospital standardised mortality ratios. NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care; 2010. http://www.hscic.gov.uk/media/9717/Report-from-DHof-SHMI-ratio/pdf/Report_from_DH_SMHI.pdf.
10. Drye EE, Normand SLT, Wang Y, Ross JS, Schreiner GC, Han L, Rapp M, Krumholz HM: Comparison of hospital risk-standardized mortality rates calculated by using in-hospital and 30-Day models: an observational study with implications for hospital profiling. Ann Intern Med 2012, 156(1):19-U66.
11. Campbell MJ, Jacques RM, Fotheringham J, Pearson T, Maheswaran R, Nicholl J: An evaluation of the summary hospital mortality index: final report, School of Health and Related Research; 2011. http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ polopoly_fs/1.51777!/file/SHMI_Final_Report.pdf.
12. Campbell MJ, Jacques RM, Fotheringham J, Maheswaran R, Nicholl J: Developing a summary hospital mortality index: retrospective analysis in English hospitals over five years. BMJ 2012, 344:e1001.
13. Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR: A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 1987, 40(5):373-383.
14. Understanding HSMRs: A Toolkit on Hospital Standardised Mortality Ratios. Dr Foster Intelligence; 2012. http://drfosterhealth.co.uk/docs/ HSMR_Toolkit_Version_7.pdf.
15. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Clinical classifications software (CCS) for ICD10. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/icd_10/ccs_icd_10.jsp.