Did hospital mortality in England change from\ud 2005 to 2010? A retrospective cohort analysis
Jacques, R. M; Fotheringham, J.; Campbell, M. J.; Nicholl, J.;
Publisher: BioMed Central
Background: There is some evidence that hospital performance in England measured by the Dr Foster Hospital Standardised Mortality Ratio (HSMR) has improved substantially over the last 10 years. This study explores mortality in-hospital and up to 30 days post-discharge o... View more
1. Inside your hospital, Dr Foster Hospital Guide 2001-2011. Dr Foster Intelligence; 2011. http://drfosterintelligence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ 2011/11/Hospital_Guide_2011.pdf.
2. Blunt I, Bardsley M, Dixon J: Trends in emergency admissions in England 2004-2009: is greater efficiency breeding inefficiency?. The Nuffield Trust; 2010. http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/publications/trends-emergency-admissionsengland-2004-2009.
3. Pitches D, Mohammed M, Lilford R: What is the empirical evidence that hospitals with higher-risk adjusted mortality rates provide poorer quality care? A systematic review of the literature. BMC Health Serv Res 2007, 7(1):91.
4. Lilford R, Pronovost P: Using hospital mortality rates to judge hospital performance: a bad idea that just won't go away. BMJ 2010, 340:c2016.
5. Shahian DM, Wolf RE, Iezzoni LI, Kirle L, Normand S-LT: Variability in the measurement of hospital-wide mortality rates. N Engl J Med 2010, 363(26):2530-2539.
6. Bottle A, Jarman B, Aylin P: Hospital standardized mortality ratios: sensitivity analyses on the impact of coding. Health Serv Res 2011, 46(6pt1):1741-1761.
7. Mohammed MA, Deeks JJ, Girling A, Rudge G, Carmalt M, Stevens AJ, Lilford RJ: Evidence of methodological bias in hospital standardised mortality ratios: retrospective database study of English hospitals. BMJ 2009, 338(mar18_2):b780.
8. Harker R: NHS funding and expenditure. House of Commons Library; 2011.
9. Whalley L: Report from the steering group for the national review of the hospital standardised mortality ratios. NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care; 2010. http://www.hscic.gov.uk/media/9717/Report-from-DHof-SHMI-ratio/pdf/Report_from_DH_SMHI.pdf.
10. Drye EE, Normand SLT, Wang Y, Ross JS, Schreiner GC, Han L, Rapp M, Krumholz HM: Comparison of hospital risk-standardized mortality rates calculated by using in-hospital and 30-Day models: an observational study with implications for hospital profiling. Ann Intern Med 2012, 156(1):19-U66.