1. Aihara, M. 1959. Stability properties of large. scale baroclinic disturbances in a vertically and horizontally variable zonal current. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 37, 45-58.
2. Arakawa, A. 1961. The variation of general circulation in the barotropic atmosphere. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 39, 49-58.
3. Brahmananda Rao, V. 1968. Stability properties of largescale disturbances in the atmosphere. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis.
4. Koteswaram, P. 1958. The easterly j et stream in the tropics. Tellus 10, 43-57.
5. Kuo, H. L. 1953. On the production of mean zonal currents in the atmosphere by large.scale disturbances. Tellus 5, 475-493.
6. Ramaswamy, C. 1962. Breaks in the Indian Summer Monsoon as a phenomenon of interac. tion between the easterly and westerly jet streams. Tellus 14, 337-349.
7. Starr, V. P. & White, R. M. 1954. Balance requirement of the general circulation. Geophys. Res. Papers No. 35, Geophys. Res. Directorate, AFORO.
8. Syono, S. & Aihara, M. 1957. Some characteristic features of barotropic disturbances. Journal of meteorological society of Japan 35, 56-64.